The 30% of the final energy consumption in the world goes to the maintenance and use of buildings:
– Domestic hot water
This percentage tends to increase progressively. For that reason the improvement of the efficiency and the energetic saving of homes and companies has become a necessity, so much economic as environmental.
Something is more energy efficient if it provides the same service with less energy input. The key to save is not stop the consumption, but do it rationally, effectively and efficiently.
Do you think you have already tried everything to spend less light, water or gas? Here we give you some simple tips that you can follow in your daily day to save and consume energy in a more efficient way.
Saving energy at home and at work
1. More efficient appliances
- Turn off the appliances you are not using, do not leave them on standby. Disconnect those that do not have a switch.
- Follow the manufacturer´s recommendations for use, maintenance and security.
- Check the devices that produce sparks or overheat the cable.
- Look at the energy label when buying appliances (class A are the most energy efficient).
2. Not one more degree, nor one degree less
- A thermostat in the heating will help you regulating the temperature. Each degree added means 5% more energy.
- Do not cover the radiators with curtains or furnitures.
- Choose electricity alternatives (solar, biomass, biogas, natural gas…)
3. Protect your domestic hot water production
- Limit the use of hot water to the essential. 90% of the electricity we consume is to heat the water.
- Regulate the thermos to a temperature not higher than 40°C. You will avoid heating the water and then have to cool it mixing it with cold water. Check your boiler periodically.
- Use an anti-scale system to protect your instalation from calcareous inlays. 3 mm of limescale between the thermal exchange system and the network water cause a 30% increase of energy consumption.
4. Invests in thermal insulation
- Cover and seal all types of fissures and holes to ensure the insulation of the room and prevent exchange of air with the outside.
- Better double glazing than double window.
- The heat escapes through doors, windows, ceilings and attics, floors, walls, thermal bridges, etc. If you make renovations at home, keep in mind all these elements.
5. Clean and responsible air conditioning
- In the hottest hours close the windows and lower the blinds.
- Keep the filters clean.
- Do not use it with open windows.
- It advised not to be more than 12 degrees of difference between indoor and outdoor temperature.
- Prevents external devices from receiving solar radiation directly (it can get worse). Try to install it in a shady area or use awnings and roofs.
In air-conditioned rooms:
- Clean the air conditioning filter frequently. A dirty and dusty equipment makes the engine work overloaded and consumes more.
- Adjust the temperature of the air conditioning so that you do not have to wear a jacket inside the room.
- It is preferable to turn off the air conditioning and turn on the fan if the room is cold. It will stay fresh and will not waste so much energy.
- Disconnect the air conditioner when leaving the room.
6. Sunlight during the day, low consumption at night
- Take advantage of the daylight hours.
- Avoid indirect lights: they consume more because they have to be more powerful.
- Use LED bulbs or low consumption.
- Keep the lighting levels low where you watch TV. You will avoid reflections and you will save energy.
- Turn off hallway lights during the day or keep them reasonably dim.
7. Thrifty computer
- Turn off the computer if you are not going to use it for a prolonged period of time and if you are not doing any function.
- It is better to turn off the monitor than to use screensaver.
- Use dark wallpapers. The clearer they are, more they consume.
- Clean the dust inside the equipment, as it can affect its performance.
- Turn off wireless devices such as mice or keyboards when they are not going to be used.
- Connect all the elements in the same terminal strip with switch. This will allow to cut the current when we are not using the equipment.